Case study: Courage to change job roles | Nov 2017 |
A professional training and coaching company who brings purpose, life and wholeness to others .
"SR Consults helped me transform my situation with proactive, interesting and applicable career coaching sessions. I hope my case study below encourages you to take the next step, Laura".
I was really fed up in my Secretarial role and I had begun to feel extremely stuck and I hugely lacked in confidence. I was unsure of what the coaching would do for me until I had my first session with Sharon and instantly knew that career coaching was exactly what I needed at this time - I felt such relief!
Objectives of the project
· explore my personal and work values
· identify transferrable skills
· improve confidence
· increase self-awareness
· create new approaches to embrace the future
· preparing for next steps
A number of coaching sessions were carried out focusing on various subjects to draw out what natural skills set as well as new one’s I was unaware of. Unbeknown to me I realized I had learnt and gained lots of skills along the way adding to my work and personal journey. This brought about a new confidence in me which was required for the solution – the courage to change roles.
The coaching was tailored to include key objectives and goals, and consisted of practical activities that I carried out myself as part of the coaching homework or with Sharon in the session itself. This was delivered with support and encouragement right through to completion.
The benefit of this style of delivery allowed me to understand and accept myself in a new way, appreciate the skills I had learnt as well as exploring new attributes I was currently building on. Building a strong relationship with my coach was a key part of the process and worked very well for me as I was relaxed with Sharon and was understanding, patient and worked with me on the journey. I didn’t feel alone, and Sharon constantly kept me on track with the goals we had set.
One of the challenges I faced was having to be honest with myself and to be transparent when completing the activities. This was a good process as the exercise helped equip me for the next challenge where Sharon would ask a question or ask what I thought of a statement and that in itself opened a platform for thought process to take place and I had to start thinking bigger, wider, broader. It opened avenues to think about myself, what I wanted out of a job and what I liked about a job. New insights started forming.
Knowing what job to apply for was not always easy, but I ran various job descriptions by Sharon who provided valuable input. An example of this was I sent her a role description and she felt I could certainly do the job but was potentially too junior for me and I might end up being bored – she was right, as I was thinking the same thing!
How challenges were overcome
I knew that my discontentment in the workplace was becoming a strong driving factor to embrace the challenges I was facing so I was able to overcome these more easily. Having the support from my coach outside of the coaching sessions was an added advantage, as she’d check to see how I was getting on and if I needed any extra support. I overcame my fears by roll-playing interviews with Sharon which was a safe place to help me learn, grow and develop as an individual.
The coaching was extremely successful, with articulated preparation for interviews and roll played interviews really helped me to embrace the interviewing process and gave me the confidence I needed to answer questions about my skills, experience and the company. I was able to demonstrate why I could do the job and why they should hire me.
- I soon realized how many suitable options there were out there that were more suited to my natural skill-set
- As a result of this coaching I became much more relaxed about my future and I had a goal to work towards, something to look forward to and aspire towards
- Making my own decisions and seeing skill trends forming gave me an extra detail about myself I didn’t previously know
- My confidence increased, and I had the courage to start applying for other job roles
- Return of investment for me was invaluable as I am now in a role within marketing and client relationship feeling much happier, more challenged and thoroughly enjoying the work
Top tips for success
- Establish what your want to achieve/goals
- Agree working relationship with coach
- Take ownership of personal development – completing the exercises/activities really helps
- Always be yourself! Learn to enjoy the qualities about yourself and don’t compare yourself to others. You are unique and have great skills differentiating yourself from others.
- Don’t forget what you’ve learnt in the coaching sessions – I still keep in mind today everything that I learned which enables me to make confident decisions about my future when it comes to appraisals and career progression.